Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: True Believers, by Kurt Andersen/Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn


My two favorite books of the summer had something in common besides their awesomeness. True Believers features a male author writing as a woman and in Gone Girl Gillian Flynn writes from a male perspective. As a woman I can't judge them both objectively, but I think Flynn comes out on top here -- her point of view narration is impeccable (I would bet she is the mother of a son, but perhaps she is merely an astute male observer). Kurt Anderson's attempt does not succeed as well -- more than once I found myself quibbling about Karen Hollander's behavior -- that a man would think a woman would do that, but a woman would not.

Point of view narration aside, I found both books to be real page turners and perfect summer reads. I liked how True Believers tackled the subject of youthful idealism and its consequences. As we mature some of us grown into the realization that there is no one truth, but not everyone gets there. For me in real life this does help explain the existence and popularity of Fox News.


Gone Girl is a wicked, wicked book. I feel compelled to tiptoe around the plot because I don't want to spoil it. Do you know how sometimes you have very dark thoughts about a person who irritates you? Could be a sibling, parent, spouse, best friend.... and when you're super tired or crabby or premenstrual you might hold onto those thoughts a little longer than you should, put them in a pretty little jar decorated with ribbons and admire them when you should just let them go. Gillian Flynn gets this. I'll say nothing else, but ladies, this book's for you.

rating: Gone Girl four and one half celery sticks/True Believers four celery sticks



No comments:

Post a Comment