Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: When in Doubt, add Butter by Beth Harbison

This book popped up in my LibraryThing "Connection News," where an algorithm displays titles related to my favorite subjects. I was swayed with the title and the brief description of the narrator, who is a personal chef. It turns out to be "chick lit," and I didn't like it.

About 5 years ago I had a spell where I sought light books that proposed little challenge. I found Jennifer Crusie and her books were just right for the moment, but after the third one I was done with all that. Maybe I'm just done with this genre, with all the pulsing and entering and convoluted plot twists.   And to paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, Beth Harbison you are no Jennifer Crusie. Harbison's characters are caricatures of humans and not believable in the least. I plodded through for a bit, hoping for some descriptions of delicious food, but it was few and far between. I did not finish this book.

Rating: one celery stick


No comments:

Post a Comment