Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: There but for the, by Ali Smith

This unusual and creative novel is whip smart. If the book had been mine rather than a library copy I would have highlighted several passages to enjoy later.

The plot loosely revolves around a man who locks himself in a room near the end of a dinner party. He had just met the hosts, no one knows why he's done it, and he will only communicate through notes. The following meandering multi-narrative is unexpected and fantastic, with strong hints of satire. If you like Martin Amis's London Fields, I believe you'll enjoy There but for the.

What you get out of There but for the depends on who you are and what you know. Since I am handicapped by a deficit in things British, so some of the book went right over my American head. I did greatly enjoy Smith's use of language and dialogue -- particularly the memorable dinner party populated by characters and behavior quite true to life. I felt like I was reading a movie script combining Woody Allen's snappy dialogue and Luis Bunuel's dreamy surrealism. Exterminating Angel meets Manhattan, directed by Mike Leigh for the British touch.

Rating: four celery sticks

No comments:

Post a Comment