Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: I'm Sorry You Feel That Way, by Diana Joseph

This collection of essays really raised my mom hackles. It made me uncomfortable to read the author describe how she sat her son in front of a television all day, every day, when he was a toddler. She later wonders why he grows up to prefer a sedentary life playing video games. She complains about him eating junk food, but who buys that food? Perhaps the irony is assumed, but I just never felt it.

There are passages in this book that are very reflective and profound. In a chapter about an ex-husband she writes, "He wants to know did I really love him or did I just hate myself." So it's a mixed bag kind of book, readable enough that I finished it, but not good enough to recommend.

Rating: two and one half celery sticks

No comments:

Post a Comment